During fall and winter, cooking savory recipes is something we look forward to every year. Having an infused meal paired with a nice glass of red wine is sure to get any gourmet lover through these chilly months ahead.
One of our favorite recipes is Super Stuffed Pot Peppers filled with ground turkey, rice, orzo, and Mozzarella. This easy recipe is perfect for holiday parties and looks great on the table as bell peppers come in many different colors. In addition to their festive looks, bell peppers have high levels of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and antioxidants. When cooked, bell peppers also retain high levels of flavonoid content, which is rich in nutrients.
Our Stuffed Pot Peppers are a perfect match for Indica-dominant strains. Since this recipe calls for CannaButter, be sure to infuse your butter using an Indica variety that provides relaxing side effects. You will feel "stuffed" after eating these peppers, so be prepared for a cozy night at home.
Super Stuffed Pot Peppers
Prep Time: 15 - 20 mintues
Cook Time: 55 minutes
6 large bell peppers
1 pound of lean ground turkey
1 jar or 24 ounces of red Italian pasta sauce
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/4 cup of Mozzarella (add more to top off peppers at end)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 box or 7 ounces of rice orzo pilaf mix with seasoning packet (see our favorite here)
2 tablespoons of CannaButter
2 cups water
Black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes, as needed
Cooking Accessories Needed:
Baking dish (large enough to fit six bell peppers)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Melt CannaButter over low heat in a 2-quart saucepan. Add rice and orzo mix. Blend and brown well, stirring frequently.
3. Add water and seasoning. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered on low heat for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
4. While rice is cooking, on a cutting board, cut out the center of the bell peppers and remove tops. Discard or compost. Place the bell peppers into a baking dish and add just enough water to fill the bottom on the dish to allow for even cooking.
5. Chop onion into bite size pieces. Heat olive oil in a pan and add onion. Saute until the onion is golden brown. Add turkey and stir until cooked thoroughly.
6. Add rice to turkey and onion mix. Stir together until mixed well and then add in the Italian red pasta sauce. Stir together. Leave a cup of pasta sauce on the side to top off the bell peppers at the end.
7. Add red pepper flakes and Mozzarella. Stir until well mixed into the turkey and rice. Remove from heat.
8. With a large spoon, stuff the bell peppers with the turkey and rice mixture. Once filled, use the remaining pasta sauce to cover the tops. Sprinkle Mozzarella on each bell pepper and place into heated oven.
9. Cook the stuffed peppers for 35 minutes or until bell pepper's skin begin to wrinkle.
10. Remove from heat and serve!
Recommended Wine Pairing:
Benziger Signaterra Three Blocks Sonoma Valley 2014 (SRP $49) - A big, bold red wine is a perfect match for our Super Stuffed Pot Peppers. Leading with Merlot, this wine displays notes of red and black fruits with bright red cherry followed by soft hints of chocolate. The acidity of this wine cuts through the richness of the meat, cheese, and pasta sauce making it a perfect combination. Big bold red wines are also a great match with Indica strains as they both display relaxing, calming side effects. To purchase this wine, click here.
Love this recipe? Please share on social media and tag us @theherbsomm.
Peace, Love & Cannabis,
The Herb Somm