There are so many options when it comes to grilling, but one of our favorite dishes is infused grilled artichokes topped with lemon and spices. Living in California, we are so blessed to have these delicious vegetables available year round, and artichokes are a great source of nutrients. They are packed with dietary fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Magnesium, and Potassium. They are also low in saturated fat and cholesterol, which makes them a healthy addition to any meal.
Our recipe for infused grilled artichokes is full of flavor and fun. This side dish is sure to impress your guests if you are hosting a dinner party or can be enjoyed at home on a casual night in. The secret trick to this recipe is to steam the artichokes for 20 - 30 minutes before grilling. This will ensure the artichokes will stay moist and will help the center heart cook evenly.
Since we include lemon and CannaOil, we recommend using an oil that has been infused with a cannabis strain that contains high levels of Limonene. Take a look at our Terpene & Aroma Pairing Guide for some infusion ideas. We hope you enjoy this recipe!
Infused Grilled Artichokes with Lemon & Spices
4 - 6 Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 - 55 Minutes
4 - 6 large globe artichokes, cut in half
2 lemons, 1 cut into half for cooking, one cut into wedges for serving
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
4 - 6 teaspoons of CannaOil
1 tablespoon of seasoning of your choice
Sea salt, to taste
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Cooking Accessories Needed:
Large cooking pot
Small mixing bowl
Serving tray or cookie sheet
1. To prepare the artichokes, peel away the outer layer of the small leaves and stem. Cut the stems 1 - 2 inches from the globe of the artichoke. Place the artichokes on a cutting board and use a strong knife to remove the top 1/2 inch where the artichokes come to a point. Cut the artichokes in half and coat with lemon to prevent oxidation.
2. Once all artichokes have been cut, use a large spoon to remove the fuzz out of the center of the artichoke located directly above the heart. Be sure to remove as much as possible as this portion does not taste good. Discard the fuzz into the compost and squeeze lemon on top of the artichokes again before steaming.
3. Use a large cooking pot to heat up water. Be sure to place the steamer rack at the base of the pot so the artichokes sit directly on top. Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and place the artichokes into the pot. Cover and steam for 20 - 30 minutes or until the outer leaves can be pulled off easily. Be sure to not overcook, as the artichokes still need to be grilled.
4. While the artichokes are steaming, combine the olive oil, CannaOil, lemon, spices, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together and set aside. You should also prepare the grill for high heat.
5. Once the artichokes are done steaming, remove from the pot and place onto a serving tray or cookie sheet. Use your basting brush to coat the artichokes with the oil and seasoning mixture. Sprinkle extra sea salt on top.
6. It's time to grill! Place the artichokes face down directly on top of the heated grill. Cook for 5 - 6 minutes on one side and then flip for another 5 - 6 minutes. Both sides of the artichokes should have grill marks.
7. Once complete, remove the artichokes and place back onto a serving tray. Pair with chicken, steak, or an array of side dishes. We also recommend serving with mayonnaise and topping with extra lemon juice.
Love this recipe? Please share on social media and tag us @theherbsomm.
Peace, Love & Cannabis,
The Herb Somm
-Our Favorite Cooking Accessories for This Recipe-
(Click image to Purchase)