- The Herb Somm
Winter Butternut Toast
As temperatures begin to drop, discovering delicious gourmet recipes in our kitchen is one of our favorite pastimes. While vegetables and fruits are abundant during the warmer months, we are always looking for ways to utilize seasonal offerings. One of our favorite winter recipes is Butternut Toast. Combining the flavors of butternut squash, chanterelle and porcini mushrooms, garlic, spinach, and shaved parmesan, this mouthwatering take on bruschetta enlivens the palate and makes for an excellent appetizer.
While we do use quite a bit of butter in this recipe, rest assured that butternut squash is healthy for you. Low in fat and packed with fiber, this heart-friendly winter favorite is an excellent source of potassium and vitamin C. Did we mention it also tastes delicious when infused with cannabis?
For this recipe, be sure to have your favorite CannaOil on hand to drizzle on top of the toast before serving. We love using Pot d’Huile’s infused olive oil because of its balanced flavor and sultry side effects. Remember, 1 teaspoon of Pot d’Huile = 5 milliliters = 5 milligrams of THC. Below is what you’ll need to get started. Enjoy!
Winter Butternut Toast
Serves 8 - 10
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
This recipe calls for a low dosage of CannaButter and CannaOil. If you wish to increase the potency of this recipe, skip the regular butter in Step 3 and add 2 tablespoons of CannaButter to the butternut squash purée.
Butternut Squash Purée Ingredients:
1 medium butternut squash
1 tablespoon softened regular butter
1 tablespoon softened cannabutter
2 tablespoons honey
ground cinnamon, to taste
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1 loaf of bread, cut into ½ inch slices
2 cups chanterelle mushrooms, chopped lengthwise
2 cups porcini mushrooms, chopped
10 ounces baby spinach
2 garlic cloves, sliced into almond shaped pieces
4 tablespoons regular butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
CannaOil to drizzle on top
Cooking Accessories Needed:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and remove inner material. Place cut squash onto a baking sheet, flesh side up as shown.
3. Heat butter and cannabutter in a small saucepan until softened. Once the butter is partially melted, remove it from heat. Using a basting brush, coat the inner squash flesh with butter until saturated. Add a hint of salt and pepper.
4. Next, place the baking sheet into the oven and bake squash for 1 hour or until tender.
5. While the butternut squash is baking, cut chanterelle and porcini mushrooms into bite size pieces. Set aside. Then, cut bread into ½ inch slices with a bread knife. Using a basting brush, coat both sides of the bread with olive oil and cook on the stove top using a heated sauté pan or griddle. Flip the bread consistently using a spatula, and cook until it’s crispy on both sides. Set aside.
6. When the squash is finished baking, remove from the oven and let cool. Once the squash reaches room temperature, use a spoon to scoop out the tender buttered center into a food processor or blender. Add honey and cinnamon to taste. Blend the mixture until the squash turns into a purée. Add a touch of water to help with blending as needed. Set aside.
7. Next, using a sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of butter until melted. Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté on medium heat until the mushrooms become golden brown and tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
8. Using the same sauté pan, heat up four tablespoons of olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until light brown. Next, add the spinach and continue to stir until the spinach shrinks down and becomes tender. Remove from heat.
9. Use your grilled bread and top with the butternut squash puree. Next, add a layer of cooked spinach, then mushroom mix, and top with shaved parmesan.
10. Now for the best part! Drizzle a teaspoon of CannaOil on top of each toast. Serve and enjoy.
Recommended Wine Pairing:
Scribe Carneros Chardonnay 2015 (SRP $38 ) - Since the Butternut Toast has an abundance of flavor and a hint of sweetness, we’d recommend pairing this dish with a crisp white wine that is high in acidity. With aromas of golden apple and peach followed by subtle hints of lemon, this light-bodied wine cuts through the butter and richness to freshen the palate. The wine has no oaky or buttery characteristics as it is aged in stainless steel tank, which creates a wine with bright acidity and refreshing minerality. To purchase this wine, click here.
Love this recipe? Please share on social media and tag us @theherbsomm.
Peace, Love & Cannabis,
The Herb Somm
#Cannabis #Cannabisrecipes #Cookingwithcannabis #ButternutToast #Winter #WinterRecipes #PotdHuile #ScribeChardonnay #CannaButter #CannaOil #Toast